Awards and honours
- Editor of the Year (Business), Publishers Australia Excellence Awards 2014 (awarded for Editorship of IFA Magazine)
- Australian Press Council Prize, University of Sydney 2010 (awarded for proficiency in media law and ethics studies).
Leadership Institute, Arlington, VA, USA (2015)
- Intensive training in political campaigns and communications, election law and fundraising.
Certificate in International Law, City University London (2012)
- Accredited coursework in public international law; topics covered include treaty law, law of the sea, human rights, statehood & sovereignty, international criminal law and conflict resolution.
Master of Media Practice, University of Sydney (2010)
- Postgraduate coursework in news writing and research, media and communications theory and political and corporate public relations. Degree awarded ‘with merit’ i.e. distinction average.
Bachelor of Economic and Social Sciences, University of Sydney (2008)
- Undergraduate qualification from the School of Economics & Business. Completed a double major in government & international relations and philosophy and a minor in economics.
- Undertook additional coursework in US politics and foreign policy at the United States Studies Centre.
Higher School Certificate, St. Aloysius’ College, Milson’s Point NSW Australia (2005)
Managing Editor, Wealth & Innovation, Momentum Media Group, North Sydney, Australia (November 2016 – present)
- Editorial leadership across business media titles ifa, InvestorDaily, Fintech Business, Adviser Innovation and Risk Adviser. Content strategist and MC for associated events.
Senior Account Executive, Leverage PR, Austin, TX, USA (January – November 2016)
- Strategic communications and media relations advisor to corporate firms and startups, with a focus on clients in fintech, crowdfunding, investment and trading, venture capital and lobbying/regulatory advocacy.
Contributing Editor, Momentum Media Group, North Sydney, Australia (July 2015 – December 2016)
- Columnist, editorial consultant and US correspondent across Sterling Publishing’s B2B media titles writing for an audience of legal, financial services and property professionals in Australia.
Editor, Sterling Publishing, North Sydney, Australia (September 2013 – June 2015)
- Editor of leading Australian B2B titles InvestorDaily, Risk Adviser and IFA Magazine, managing a team of business journalists covering news relating to the Australian wealth and investment management sectors, including government regulation and public policy, mergers & acquisitions/corporate strategy and developments in financial markets.
- Role involved extensive stakeholder engagement with commercial partners and advertisers, leading industry commentators and figures, including business leaders, industry lobbyists, advocates and government officials; facilitating conferences and events; conference agenda production and marketing.
- Served as Acting Editor of The Adviser Magazine and Mortgage Business, May to June 2015.
Senior Journalist, Sterling Publishing, North Sydney, Australia (December 2012 – June 2015)
- Writing news, features and analysis across Sterling Publishing’s range of financial and professional services and property market publications, including IFA, InvestorDaily, AccountantsDaily, SMSF Adviser, and Mortgage Business.
- Sourced and pitched original story ideas, developed a deep contact base of industry figures and commentators, conducted interviews and meeting non-negotiable deadlines in fast-paced commercial newsroom environment; acquired strong understanding of the business of publishing and advertising sales.
Staff Writer, Global Legal Group, London UK (January – October 2012)
- Full-time entry-level position on leading legal industry print publication Commercial Dispute Resolution magazine.
- Researched and wrote daily news and feature articles on international arbitration and litigation law, white-collar crime, antitrust/competition and intellectual property; regular coverage of the UK, US, European, Asia-Pacific and Russia & CIS legal markets; conducting daily interviews with leading lawyers, judges, academics, economists and business executives.
- Attended the EU Competition Law Summer School at Downing College, Cambridge University, as a ‘media delegate’, August 2012
Campaign Assistant, Yes! To Fairer Votes, South London, March – May 2011
- Volunteered to support the campaign for a ‘yes’ vote in the UK’s national referendum on the alternative vote (AV) system to introduce proportional representation.
- Phone canvassing, leafleting, attending debates and functions and assisting with campaign communications/strategy.
Reporter, The Ghanaian Times, Accra, Ghana (December 2010 – February 2011)
- Voluntary work placement with a leading national daily newspaper in Ghana, West Africa.
- Researched and wrote daily print news articles, attended press conferences and conducted interviews with key figures in government, law, business, education, the chieftaincy and wider Ghanaian society.
- Developed a strong understanding of developing world economic and political issues.
- Attached to the Parliamentary Press Gallery of the Republic of Ghana, January 2011.
Content Manager, Intermedium, Sydney NSW Australia (May – December 2010)
- Intermedium is a research and consulting firm, specialising in the Australian government information and communications technology market.
- Management of online and weekly newsletter content, including responsibility for content publication, editorial agenda, copy editing and proofreading, compliance with enterprise style guidelines; writing and researching news articles, media releases and marketing and sales communications. Also assisted with bespoke research projects, speeches and events, corporate communications, media relations and strategy.
- Developed extensive knowledge of Australian IT and technology markets, federal and state government communications policy, public procurement and finance, lobbying and government relations.
Media Assistant, Refugee Council of Australia, Sydney NSW Australia (March – July 2010)
- The Refugee Council of Australia is a peak body representing organisations that work with asylum seekers and refugees. It provides policy development, advocacy and campaigning services.
- Supported the CEO and Communications Manager in media strategy, including assistance with media and parliamentary monitoring, writing media releases, opinion articles, newsletter content and stakeholder correspondence.
News & Current Affairs Intern, ABC Radio Illawarra, Wollongong NSW Australia (December 2009)
- Month-long internship with the news & current affairs desk at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s Wollongong bureau on the south coast of New South Wales.
- Researched and wrote copy for radio news bulletins, composed and recorded radio broadcasts for national and local news programs, attended local press conferences and community events. Training provided in media law, emergency services and court reporting and ABC editorial guidelines.
Assistant Copy Editor, The Sydney Globalist, Sydney NSW Australia (March – November 2010)
- The Sydney Globalist is a journal on international affairs published by the Department of Government & International Relations at the University of Sydney.
- Assisted with copy and sub-editing, proofreading and monitoring compliance with house style.
Speechwriter and Research Assistant, Santa Sabina College, Sydney NSW Australia (June – November 2010)
- Assisted the Headmistress of Santa Sabina College, a private girls’ high school in Sydney, in writing, researching and presenting speeches to be presented at college functions and external events.
Debating and Public Speaking Coach, St. Aloysius‘ College, Sydney NSW Australia (February 2006 – August 2010)
- Coached competitive secondary school debating, including facilitating seminars on current affairs and verbal communication skills and providing feedback to secondary school students
Work Experience, Network Ten News, Pyrmont NSW Australia (July 2003)
- Voluntary work experience placement assisting television news reporters with their daily tasks; attended press conferences including at the NSW Treasury; learned basic broadcast editing skills.